Sunday, November 2, 2008

I've never had breast cancer.

But I'm sure my time is coming. My grandmother (both maternal, and paternal) had breast cancer. My mother has had two lumpectomies, and they are watching her closely. My friend, and attendee of honor, Cindy has had breast cancer. She was just diagnosed in January, and had a total mastectomy in March. She now lives with the scars all over her chest of the 3rd degree burns from the radiation. In fact, look around you. 1 in 8 women, will be diagnosed with breast cancer.

Did you know that EVERY YEAR, more than a million women are diagnosed with breast cancer?

When someone you know is diagnosed with breast cancer, what do you do? Buy them a gift, send them a card? Say I'm sorry? Saying I'm sorry just wasn't enough for me. I saw the pain on her face, on her families face, on her 14 year old daughters face. That's when I realized that saying I'm sorry just doesn't fix anything. Insert November 1, 2008.

I rallied up about 20 women, lots of chocolate, some great food, and rented a fire hall. And we cropped :)
The guys at the Taftville Fire House were awesome. They agreed that we needed to "Save second base" and they forked over that Fire hall faster than we could blink, and waived the fee. We did give them a pretty sweet donation for letting us use it, though.

So Aimee and I aren't really pros at the whole interior design thing, but I think we did a fairly good job. We hung some crate paper, and blew up some balloons. Okay, let's be honest. The boys blew up the balloons. My Gary, and her Jake were awesome. We took them out for sushi after the crop was over to say thank you. Those boys worked hard. In fact, there wouldn't have been any food if not for them. They drove about a total of 2 hours to bring food and drinks and double sided tape (what's a girl to do when she runs out of adhesive?). And they blew up about 25 balloons, and tied pink ribbon to them. Those guys rock ;)

All in all it was a great day. We raised a pretty great chunk of change, with the fee to get in, donations, and raffles. We even raffled off a brand new QK squeeze :)

Anywho, thank you a TON to Gary and Jake, you guys are awesome, and we're blessed to have you in our lives. We love you. Thank you to Aimee, who was right there with me through the whole thing, I couldn't have done it without you ;) And thank you to all the attendants, all the scrappers, the stampers, the donations, etc. Thank you to Robin, Moments in Time owner, who is amazing, and donated just about every raffle prize we had. You're an amazing woman, and I totally beleive in Karma.
And, of course, my friend Erin. Who drove ALL THE WAY FROM MAINE!!! to be at the crop. You'll never know how much it meant to me to see you there. You're such an awesome person, with a heart of gold. There is no doubt in my mind you'll succeed at your school. I'm sorry it didn't last longer, and everyone left kind of early, and the fire boys were antsy. I wish we could have cropped all night.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

It looks awesome! Wish I could have been there too, you did a great job!

wendy said...

Great job! It looks like a lot of fun :)

twinkle teaches said...

I wish I could have been there,too!
tina